[Koha] search returns nothing, yaz-client returns values

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Feb 12 06:07:34 NZDT 2015

We have a koha install that has had some issues (expounded upon below)
At the moment, all searches from the webpage return no results.
I can do a manual search using yaz-client, and get results.
If I go to the "item search", I can see everything there.

It appears to me that apache is not communicating with zebra.

The koha-zebra is running (I can see it when I do a ps).  I have done
manual index rebuilds, and it looks like the cron re-indexing is
happening.

And, as I said, I can manually run yaz-client and get responses.

The server is Debian Squeeze on a 64-bit system (actual hardware, not
a VM).

I am a pretty good techie, but I am new to koha.  I will give a short
version of the history in case something jumps out as something I did
wrong.

The server and Koha were installed by outside contractors.
Koha was installed by git.

The data came from an old version of koha that had crashed and was
mangled.
I was able to dig through 28,000 records and recover most of the data
by repairing the sql by hand.
The old version of Koha had a different format for some of the mysql
tables.  I manually added the fields so it is now the same as what
the fresh koha install used.

Because some of the sql had been mangled, there were a number of
biblio records that threw errors during the zebra rebuild.  I removed
those records, and now zebra reindexes cleanly.

I can do a
yaz-client unix:/var/run/zebradb/bibliosocket -c
/etc/koha/zebradb/ccl.properties
base biblio
f something

and I get lots of responses that I can "show"

I tried using tcp connections instead of sockets.  I could connect by
yaz-client, but nothing changed with koha.  So I went back to sockets.

The server is in Africa, and I am helping from the United States, and
the Internet is down at the koha site.  So I do not have access to
the actual running system at the moment.  But I am looking for any
ideas that might help speed me on my way.

I was about to read through the itemsearch.pl code to figure out how
itemsearch.pl knows to use the socket or tcp connection, and maybe
put in some debugging code to watch it.  I saw someone mention that I
could increase koha's logging ability and actually capture the
queries that were sent to zebra?  That would be helpful.

- Tim Young