[Koha] Troubleshoot file not found (856$u)

Ahmad Amanullah Khan ahmadamanullahkhan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:32:04 NZDT 2015

Hi

Can you please advise me how I can customize masthead on KOHA opac. I want
to change option "Authority Search". Please let me know how I can achieve
this.

Thanks
Ahmad Amanullah Khan

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Doug Dearden <dearden at sarsf.org> wrote:

> Gopalakrishna,
>
> /home/user/Downloads is not in a location that is accessible from the
> Apache web server.  On a default package install on Debian the document
> root for the OPAC is /usr/share/koha/opac/htdocs , and the document root
> for the staff client is /usr/share/koha/intranet/htdocs.  I believe it is
> the same on Ubuntu.  There are different ways to make files accessible via
> the url.  One is to create a directory in one of these locations, put the
> files there and then just point to them.  For instance if your server is at
> http://mylibrary.mydomain.com you create the directory
> /usr/share/koha/opac/htdocs/myfiles , and put the file test.pdf in there.
> The url http://mylibrary.mydomain.com/myfiles/test.pdf should point to
> that file.
>
> To use /home/user/Downloads you can use a symbolic link instead.  You put
> your files in /home/user/Downloads.  Instead of making the myfiles
> directory, you make a symbolic link from the OPAC document root:
> ln –s /home/user/Downloads /usr/share/koha/opac/htdocs/myfiles
>
> You put the file test.pdf into /home/user/Downloads .  The url
> http://mylibrary.mydomain.com/myfiles/test.pdf should point to the file
> the same as above.  The advantage to this method is you can give a limited
> user the ability to put files into /home/user/Downloads without ever having
> to see unneeded parts of the file structure.
>
> Another trick that Galen Charlton pointed out to me was using the Apache
> redirect directive.  Instead of putting the full url into the 856u field,
> you can use a placeholder that Apache reinterprets into the full url.  If
> sometime in the future you run out of space for these files, you can move
> them to another server and just change the redirect reference in the Apache
> config file.  For instance, in our example you would use:
> Redirect /filelocation http://mylibrary.mydomain.com/myfiles
> The url you put into the 856u field would be /filelocation/test.pdf.  If
> you later move your files to a different server, rather than having to edit
> all of the 856u fields, you can simply change the Redirect directive to
> something else like:
> Redirect /filelocation http://biggerserver.mydomain.com/myfiles
>
> Best,
>
> Doug

“*Testing is an infinite process of comparing the invisible to the
ambiguous in order to avoid the unthinkable happening to the anonymous.” -**
James Bach*

*Best Regards,*

*Ahmad Amanullah Khan*