[Koha] Searching using Z39.50/SRU

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Dec 24 11:26:28 NZDT 2015

At 08:34 PM 12/23/2015 +0000, Boulier, Jack wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me why I am getting connection errors for the
>Z39.50/SRU option when attempting to catalog new materials? My connection
>options are Columbia University, Smithsonian Institution Libraries and the
>Library of Congress. All three give me a connection failed error. The
>system is connected to the internet, I am able to connect to the system
>using http. And the server will connect to loc.gov.

How have you got them set up? LoC are pretty bullet-proof and fast set up as:

Hostname/Port--Database--Userid--Password--Checked--Rank--Syntax--Encoding--Timeout
lx2.loc.gov:210--LCDB--blank--blank--Yes(or no)--17(your
choice)--USMARC--utf8--0

The Smithsonian is oddball (siris-libraries.si.edu:210, default, USMARC,
utf8) -- fast but "choosey" e.g. their own Smithsonian Miscellaneous
Collections Vol. 93 No 4 (that I have in front off me) finds it using the
author (Randers-Pehrson), but "nothing found" with the title "Pioneer wind
tunnels" or even more odd, Title + Author also gives "nothing found"...

Columbia most often seems to work efficiently:
clio-db.cc.columbia.edu:7090, VOYAGER, USMARC, utf8 -- but only if they
have it "on-site" e.g Butler stacks -- if it's "off-site" (whatever that
means) it works about 50% of the time.

Best -- Paul

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>