[Koha] Slash (/) following title

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Fri Aug 14 02:00:43 NZST 2015

At 09:54 AM 8/13/2015 +1200, clint.deckard wrote:
[snip]
>When I first came across the / and saw it in the OPAC I assumed it was an
>error with my migration. However it was in the original records and that
>lead me to explore its history and usage.
>The / might assist readability in a card catalogue but in the OPAC I
>suspect it hinders, simply because it is 'jarring'. Cognitive dissonance
>and such...

The slash is used (from what I'm told by qualified librarians) to separate
the "title...subtitle...sometimes other odds and ends" from statements of
"authorship, holding of copyright, illustrator, prefaces, introductions, etc"

As such, it represents textually the visual layout of the title page.

It is used increasingly[1] by LoC, BL, CaONL and many other national
authorities.

If your users suffer from "cognitive dissonance and such" and find it
"jarring", it's probably trivial for you to modify your OPAC layout.
However, Koha *should* in its default format continue to follow what is
done by the world's leading national authorities. Just my two cents...

[1] older records might not have the slash, just a comma. Updated records
by national libraries use the slash in line with new records.

Best -- Paul