[Koha] Publication date fields in Koha

Steven Nickerson snicker1 at maine.rr.com
Thu Apr 2 08:32:20 NZDT 2015

Hello everyone,

   I'm trying to clean up some data from the RDA-related changes when we
updated our framework a while back and have a few topics/questions regarding
the publication fields (particularly the dates):

-          Can someone explain to me where the publisher, location, and date
come from in the OPAC's search results?   The reason I ask is that Koha
seems to be pulling it from EITHER field 260 OR 264, is that correct?  I've
run a SQL query that shows I have the publisher information in only one of
those fields for every record, but Koha still displays it.

-          Should I be "worried" that for some records I have the
publication data in marcxml field 260 and for others I see it in 264, even
for recently-added records within the same framework?   Shouldn't the data
show up in the same place if using the same framework?

-          How do the biblio.copyrightdate and biblioitems.publicationyear
dates get populated?  It doesn't seem like I have anything in
'biblioitems.publicationyear' at all.should I?  And I see the
biblio.copyrightdate for those records where the 264$c marcxml field is
populated, but not the ones that have the publication information in the
260$c marcxml field.

In case anyone else cares to look at publication date information in their
own environment, here's a SQL query that shows you all of the various
copyright date/publication year fields I mention above for ALL your biblios:

SELECT
items.biblionumber,items.itype,biblio.title,items.barcode,biblio.copyrightda
te,biblioitems.publicationyear,biblio.frameworkcode,ExtractValue(marcxml,'//
datafield[@tag="260"]/subfield[@code="c"]') AS marc260c,
ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="264"]/subfield[@code="c"]') AS
marc264c FROM items LEFT JOIN biblioitems on
(items.biblioitemnumber=biblioitems.biblioitemnumber) LEFT JOIN biblio on
(biblioitems.biblionumber=biblio.biblionumber) ORDER BY items.biblionumber
ASC

Hope this makes sense.just trying to figure out where the publication data
SHOULD be and why it doesn't seem consistent in my environment.

Thanks in advance!

Steve