[Koha] Comment: Koha Community Code of Conduct

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Sep 30 06:02:29 NZDT 2014

Would that it was as simple as:
Play nicely with others; no name-calling,  teasing, or bad language. . .
Sadly, we're not five years old anymore.

I would like to plea for clear, concise language. Especially given the
large number of Koha users whose native tongue is not English.

I might even offer to help edit it. . . though I'm not usually known for my
brevity!

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM, glaws <glawson at rhcl.org> wrote:

> I wish I knew the background better, but a lot of the recent discussion
> on Codes of Conduct I think stems from some recent problems in the
> gaming community. Again, I admit my knowledge is limited, but I think it
> had something to do with male gamers putting down female gamers; very
> offensive words and actions were used in that situation, and the
> "outing" of personally identifying information was one of the problems.
>
> I think any reasonable person applying a reasonable standard would
> realize the CoC wording as is currently stands wouldn't apply to the
> examples I cited, nor to yours. It's the unreasonable factors we have to
> be concerned with, and just a little modding of the wording will fix
> things.
>

> Greg
>
> --------------------
>

> On 09/26/2014 04:12 PM, Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se wrote:
> > I highly agree with the spirit of the CoC, but with this discussion I
> realize that taking the following part literally would forbid me to give
> people credit when listening to them during a KohaCon:
> >
> > "Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
> > […]
> >       • Posting (or threatening to post) other people’s personally
> identifying information.
> > […]
> >
> > Names are the mother of personally identifying information and since a
> good reputation is sort of the currency in a FOSS-community not being able
> to publicly give people credit seems counter productive :) I guess the
> paragraph is ment to cover giving credit, but as I read it that may be the
> effect(?)
> >
> > Kind regards/Viktor
> >
> > Viktor Sarge
> > Utvecklingsledare
> > Regionbibliotek Halland
> > Kultur i Halland
> >
> > TFN: 035-17 98 73
> > E-POST: Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se
> > BESÖKSADRESS: Södra vägen 9, 30180 Halmstad
> > WEBB: www.regionhalland.se/regionbibliotek
> >

> > 26 sep 2014 kl. 21:49 skrev glaws <glawson at rhcl.org>:
> >
> >> I have some concerns about the Koha Community Code of Conduct posted
> here:
> >>
> >> http://koha-community.org/about/policy/code-of-conduct/
> >> <http://koha-community.org/about/policy/code-of-conduct/>
> >>
> >> My specific concern is the second bullet point:
> >>
> >> Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
> >>
> >>  * ---snip---
> >>  * Verbal, graphic or written comments related to gender, gender
> >>    identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body
> >>    size, race or religion
> >>

> >> which seems overly broad.
> >>
> >> Examples
> >>
> >> If, during a conference breaking for lunch, I say to a group of
> >> attendees "I'm Buddhist, is there a vegetarian restaurant near here?", I
> >> would seem to have violated this point (verbal...comment...religion).
> >>
> >> Or if I'm a presenter, and I make a comment for illustrative purposes,
> [...]

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)