[Koha] Put Barcodes in Books Without Barcodes Automatically

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Sep 24 04:11:24 NZST 2014

If your plan is to automatically assign new barcode numbers to the items,
and then print out the barcodes, then you don't need to know in advance
what numbers to assign to each item. But, think carefully about the barcode
structure you're going to be using so as not to accidentally duplicate
numbers if you batch edit the existing records offline and then start
assigning new ones automatically.  Check the options in Home ›
Administration › System preferences>Cataloging preferences>Record structure
to see what formats are available.

For the existing records, one option would be to export the records (with
the item information) edit them offline and add sequential numbers to the
952$p field. then import them and overwrite the original records.

I know MarcEdit will generate control numbers.  I'm not sure if  it will
create sequential numbers in another field.  But I'm sure some technical
wizard out there can help figure that out.

Elaine

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM, vikram zadgaonkar <
vikramczadgaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> On 23-Sep-2014 2:00 PM, "indradg" <indradg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Basic question: How do you expect Koha to know which barcode to insert
> for
> > which item?
> >
> > Indra
> >

> > Sent from Samsung Mobile

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)