[Koha] Integrating digital repositories

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Sep 16 12:17:11 NZST 2014

Hi Clint:

It looks like you've done a lot of work! I can't speak to Omeka, but I work
with DSpace and it's not too hard once you get used to it. It can be tough
to get support in Oceania as most of the developers seem to be in the US and
Europe, but they're pretty good with their listserv. I've played a bit with
Islandora, but haven't had the time to really go through it. It seems rather
massive though as it leverages the Fedora digital repository framework
(which other digital repository projects like Hydra use as well).

I originally worked on Bug 10662 in mid-2013, but I've had other priorities
come up over time. I've been thinking about reviving the code, but haven't
had the time and I'm not 100% sure how I want to structure it yet. Perhaps I
should write up a RFC at some point.

It sounds like Omeka's OAI-PMH plugin outputs MARC records, so that's good,
although I would be somewhat suspicious of the quality. I was transforming
DSpace records from OAI Dublin Core into MARC (as Koha only understands
MARC), and I was frequently disappointed with the results. This is partially
because MARC is a more "richer" metadata standard than Dublin Core. It was
also because OAI Dublin Core is way too basic. I found working with
Qualified Dublin Core to be at least a bit better, as it qualified dates and
identifiers way better. Ultimately, I decided that it would probably be
better to transform the records in DSpace and output them as MARC rather
than trying to do the conversion on the Koha side. Although I still wanted
to transform the records a bit so I could store the oai-identifier in the
MARC record (especially as some OAI-PMH repositories have rules about how
you can use their records - typically in the form of requiring some type of
provenance to be displayed in the record).

In any case, I'm still pondering Bug 10662. The code needs to be re-written
to take advantage of Koha::Schema and because the way I created the
harvesting objects was sub-optimal. I've also been debating (with myself)
about the best way to import records into Koha. Whether that's by using the
existing import functionality or whether to just directly insert in to the
database (so that users can't "undo" an import). I think the feature could
be implemented in numerous ways, so I'm still trying to think of the best
way to do it (rather than implement it and then have to try to re-write it
after people have already started using it).

As for experiences... at the moment we link DSpace and Koha using custom
scripts. I would prefer to go the OAI route but just haven't had the
time/money to finish the work :).

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems