[Koha] A Road Map for Koha

Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se
Thu Oct 16 00:58:29 NZDT 2014

> 1.  To maintain a road map for Koha - that is not time based.
> 2.  The road map is to address both features and architecture.
> 3.  The monthly general meeting following each major release will consider updates to the road map.
> 4.  However maintenance of the road map can be a continuous process.

If I don’t make it to the IRC meeting here are my thoughts: A roadmap sounds like something that could spark useful discussion on where we want to go. I have no problem with the current way of doing things, but I do occasionally get the feeling that I don’t see the big picture of what’s planned and down what path that development is taking Koha. Sometimes decisions get taken just by small stuff like adding a nifty little feature that makes our users expect even more features in the that area. I do see scenarios where a roadmap/central planning of development could become a problem, but from the description it sounds like a good idea.

> Therefore we propose two new roles in the community release team. These are roles that could be effectively filled by librarians (one for each role, or a team), allowing developers to keep developing.
>
> _Wiki Curator_
> - a lot of work needs to be done to clean up the wiki;
> - could also participate (with some developers) in updating the wiki technology;
> - the role is not seen as a controller of wiki content or as being required to approve content, rather it is a curation task:  moving stuff around, keeping it tidy, collaborating with the wiki contributors (So, looking at stuff and asking:  Is this correct? Does it need to be updated?  Should it be moved?  Renamed? etc)
>
> _Communication Manager_
> - promote the project and its achievements;
> - gather press releases and stories;
> - liaise closely with the newsletter editors (Chad and JD);
> - update the koha-community.org website;
> - send items to Marshall Breeding or other distribution sites;
> - write articles or twist the arms of others who might write articles.

Both these two areas could use a boost so I approve.