[Koha] Koha Extra Records

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Wed Oct 15 14:56:09 NZDT 2014

On 14/10/14 20:54, Chrispin Simasiku Sitali wrote:
> Greetings Koha Community,
>
> I am at my wits end. I have a marc file with 10 000 records on it. I want
> to have this in my Koha installation for searching only. I am currently
> cataloguing some books and I want to use this for searching through only,
> if I find a marching record for a particular book then I import it in my
> collection. When I finish cataloguing I then delete the collection because
> I may not need it any more Please how do I go about it.
>
> I am using  Koha 3.16.04 on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS and I installed Koha
> according to http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.x, using package
> install
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Sitali CS
If I understand you correctly, then this may be a solution:

Create a test instance of Koha and import your marc file to it.
Configure your Koha test instance as a z39.50 server.  Add its details
as a z39.50 target in your production instance.

Search in your test instance for the records you are seeking.  If you
find them, do a z39.50 search from your production instance and download
them from your test instance.

When you are finished, delete the test instance.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

Best wishes,
Bob Birchall
Calyx