[Koha] Should Koha support old versions of Internet Explorer?

Riley Childs rchilds at cucawarriors.com
Fri Oct 3 12:21:39 NZDT 2014

If MS doesn't support it why should we?

Riley Childs
Senior
Charlotte United Christian Academy
Library Services Administrator
IT Services
(704) 497-2086
rileychilds.net
@rowdychildren
________________________________
From: Arslan Farooq<mailto:arslanone at gmail.com>
Sent: ‎10/‎2/‎2014 6:28 PM
To: Owen Leonard<mailto:oleonard at myacpl.org>; koha<mailto:koha at lists.katipo.co.nz>; Owen Leonard<mailto:oleonard at myacpl.org>; koha<mailto:koha at lists.katipo.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Koha] Should Koha support old versions of Internet Explorer?

Hello Owen,

I think our developers' time is precious and should not be wasted on supporting IE6 or IE7. If some organization wants to use the said versions and want to use the latest version of Koha then they can pay for support. They can't have it both ways.

As you know (being a web developer) that these IEs are not standards compliant browsers and have all kinds of strange quirks and idiotic behaviors. It's a nightmare to make modern web technologies work on these browsers.

>- In your use of Koha are you required to use any version of Internet
>Explorer and if so what version?

No. And today's users have their smartphones and laptops. And our library's PCs are there and it takes few clicks to install Firefox, Chrome or any other decent browser.

I can imagine some environments may have restrictions on place to not let users install programs. And for that, anyone can keep a portable version of Firefox
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable in a usb flash disk / or copy on a PC.

Basically if there is a will there is a way. It makes no sense to me that any sane developer would waste his life (life is just a sum of moments, minutes, hours we have) on IE6 IE7 quirks.

>- In your use of Koha do you work with library patrons who are
>required to use any version of Internet Explorer?

No.

>- In your opinion what should be the minimum supported version of
>Internet Explorer?

If you are bored and want to amuse yourself then, perhaps some IE8 support. No lower.

Well above are my opinions.

Arslan