[Koha] Help- Regarding Circulation Rules with Item Types.

SATISH lis4satish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:15:49 NZDT 2014

Need Suggestions for :  New Item Type or New Koha Instance.

Background-  Our Library has following scenario :

Patrons:  categorized as:
1. Regular (General) Students  &
2. Backward Category Students.

Collections:
Two set of collections are maintained,
1. General Stocks - for ALL Students.
(including backward category)

2. Book Bank ( Special Collections ONLY for Backward Category Students)

Circulation Rules:
1. Regular Students can borrow books only from General Stocks but not from
Book Bank.

2. Backward Category Students can barrow books from both General Stocks
and  Book Bank
Currently, check-in/check-out is by providing separate backward student id
card along with regular common id card.

My Questions is:
Can above said Circulation criteria be fulfilled either by creating a new
Item Type - "Book Bank" and adding records to it,  along with default item
type : Books and then create a circulation rules for both the item types.
OR
New Instance of Koha (separate database) for Book Bank Library to be
created (along with existing one for general stocks)?

At present, I have completed updating bibliorecords for the General Stocks
and used to issue-return books from General Stock (for Regular + Backward
students). But, I am not sure about, proceeding for accommodating only
backward students category for getting books from Book Bank Library through
koha.

Your suggestions are valuable for me and much appreciated.

with thanks
Satish MV
Librarian
Govt. Engineering College, Hassan.