[Koha] Unimarc - usage of UDC in build_browser_and_cloud.pl - Revision

julionogueira at sapo.pt julionogueira at sapo.pt
Sat May 31 17:00:23 NZST 2014

Hello everyone,
The hierarchical search is, in my opinion, an extremely useful feature.
I activated it by following the steps which José Santos indicates on
http://koha.pt/forum/index.php?topic=5.0.
The searches return good results when systematic notations contain up
to three numbers because, as we know, build_browser_and_cloud.pl
script defaults to three numbers.
But if we take a look at the Universal Decimal Classification main
table (Portuguese abridged edition), we see different types of
punctuation between the second and third numbers, or even between the
first and second numbers.
Additionally, there are many notations that can have a dozen or more
characters consisting of numbers and punctuation marks.
Some typical examples:
"2-1" => "Theory and philosophy of religion. Nature of religion.
Phenomenon of religion",
"34.01" => "Nature of law. Objectives of law",
"616-073.65/.66" => "Thermometry. Temperature measurement. Calorimetry",
"81'373" => "Lexicology. Onomastics. Toponymy",
"821.133.1(569.3)" => "Lebanese literature in French",
"94(100)\"1939/1945\"" => "World War II", # or 94(100)"1939/1945" with
a pair of Perl backslash escape character before the double quotes to
differentiate script and text.
This obviously means we cannot get these notations in search results
and these constraints call into question the integrity of the
hierarchical search.
What could be changed in the script to take into account punctuation
marks and larger notations?
Many thanks in advance and regards from
Júlio
(librarian)