[Koha] On the choice of MARC-format

Zeno Tajoli z.tajoli at cineca.it
Tue May 20 23:00:04 NZST 2014

Hi,

Il 12/05/2014 12:05, zolot ha scritto:
> "Koha 3.14. Manual (en)" considers "MARC", "MARC21" and "UNIMARC".
>  What principle differences exist between these formats ?
>
> My database (i.e. isis-catalog, 100 000 records) has been created in accordance with Ukrainian standard "UKRMARC".
> What of the indicated formats must be chosen for preferences ?
> What criteria need to be followed for the choice of marc-format ?

in fact UKRMARC is UNIMARC.
See here:
http://library.lviv.ua/e-library/library_standarts/UkrMarc/index_eng.shtml

Koha support NORMARC, MARC21 and UNIMARC.
"MARC" is a sinonimous of "MARC21".

In Koha there is a Ukraine support for UNIMARC and MARC21
in .../installer/data/mysql/uk-UA/marcflavour/

The person behind it is Serhij Dubyk, serhijdubyk at gmail.com

In my humble opinion it is easier to use Koha with MARC21,
but if your cataloguers know only UKRMARC use UNIMARC.

In fact the best person to ask for an opinon about your situation
is Serhij Dubyk.

Cheers
Zeno Tajoli

--
Dr. Zeno Tajoli
Dipartimento STAF - Automazione Biblioteche
z.tajoli at cineca.it
fax +39 02 2135520
CINECA - Sede operativa di Segrate