[Koha] Misleading item status between OPAC search result and full item details

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue May 6 05:22:30 NZST 2014

"Such items have been assigned "PROC" (in processing) status under "Shelf
Location".  This is fine and shows correctly on the OPAC full item detail
screen under "Holdings".  However, on the OPAC search result list, they are
shown as "Available for loan at ...", after Availability.  This causes
confusion whether such item is actually ready for loan or still being
processed!"

Shelf location in Koha does not have any influence over availability in
Koha - it's just part of the address of the item.
You could check out the items to Processing as a patron and then check them
in when the book is ready for public access. That way they would show in
the OPAC as being in the library's collection, but not available for use.
 If your library has a holds system,  people would be able to put a hold on
the item for when it is available.
Alternatively (and slower if you have a barcode reader) you can
individually change each item record to "not for loan" until it is ready
for loan,  and then change it again when it's ready to go.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Iming Chan <imingchan at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm try to resolve a misleading/contradicting status for new items that are
> currently being processed by our "Technical Services" team.
>
> Such items have been assigned "PROC" (in processing) status under "Shelf
> Location".  This is fine and shows correctly on the OPAC full item detail
> screen under "Holdings".  However, on the OPAC search result list, they are
> shown as "Available for loan at ...", after Availability.  This causes
> confusion whether such item is actually ready for loan or still being
> processed!
>
> Now I have been trying to a few options, but none seems to have worked on
> the search result list:
>
> 1. To show description for the "PROC" status ("In processing" in our case)
> instead of "Available for loan at ..."; or
>
> 2. Totally remove/hide "Availability" detail.
>
> I haven even tried to assign these items to our Technical Services branch
> under "Current Location" (while assigned to correct branch for "Permanent
> Location").  However, availability message still use permanent instead of
> current location regardless.
>
> P.S. Unfortunately "check-in" function would not change status for "Not for
> loan" (it shouldn't be anyway), otherwise, I would have assigned a status
> under "Not for loan" instead of "Shelf location" instead to solve this
> confusion!
>
> Looking forward to your comments or suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Iming Chan
> Translib Information Service
> Melbourne, Australia
>

> -----
>
> Iming Chan
> Translib Information Service
> Melbourne, Australia

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)