[Koha] Misleading item status between OPAC search result and full item details

Iming Chan imingchan at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 4 19:40:31 NZST 2014

Dear all,

I'm try to resolve a misleading/contradicting status for new items that are
currently being processed by our "Technical Services" team.

Such items have been assigned "PROC" (in processing) status under "Shelf
Location".  This is fine and shows correctly on the OPAC full item detail
screen under "Holdings".  However, on the OPAC search result list, they are
shown as "Available for loan at ...", after Availability.  This causes
confusion whether such item is actually ready for loan or still being
processed!

Now I have been trying to a few options, but none seems to have worked on
the search result list:

1. To show description for the "PROC" status ("In processing" in our case)
instead of "Available for loan at ..."; or

2. Totally remove/hide "Availability" detail.

I haven even tried to assign these items to our Technical Services branch
under "Current Location" (while assigned to correct branch for "Permanent
Location").  However, availability message still use permanent instead of
current location regardless.

P.S. Unfortunately "check-in" function would not change status for "Not for
loan" (it shouldn't be anyway), otherwise, I would have assigned a status
under "Not for loan" instead of "Shelf location" instead to solve this
confusion!

Looking forward to your comments or suggestions.

Regards,

Iming Chan
Translib Information Service
Melbourne, Australia