[Koha] [LIS-Forum] E-resource management with Koha - Implemented at UoM

Ishwar Goudar goudarishwar at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 5 10:01:10 NZDT 2014

Dear Professionals,

I appreciate Mr. V.K. Mishra*s suggestion of ERM using Koha.  Yes, we
can use Koha for giving access to E-books, with full texts being
available at Publishers´ or local server.  We at University of Mysore
have implemented this idea 3 years back itself and have provided
access to full texts of > 18,000 books of four publishers put together
viz. Springer, T & F, Wiley and CRC Press.

Please search UoM Library OPAC  available at
http://libcatmysore-koha.informindia.co.in/

Each e-book is accessioned satisfying the audit requirements by using
4 letter prefix different for different publishers, say EBSP..... for
Springer.  This technique facilitates us to display all Springer book
at one go by searching barcode in Advanced search. The main advantage
of using LMS like Koha for this application is that one can search all
e-books of all publishers including the OA books archived on local
server.  On the other hand if we depend only on publishers site, we
will have to search for books on the subjects of our interest through
as many servers as number of publishers, unless we license the access
through Aggregators  like e-brary. We have given access to full texts
only through LAN of the Varsity including WiFi.  But any body  can
reach Contents page of book of his/her  choice.  Full text access
could be extended through remote access using interface like OCLC´s
Ezproxy.  Koha´s feature of displaying cover page makes this much more
user friendly.
All publishers are bound to make available the MARC records and the
same could be part of our OPAC.

Providing full text access to E-books is only a part of ERM.  Koha is
not a full pledged ERM System like ExLibris´s ALMA or EBSCO´s ERM.  A
combination of ILS and ERMS will make an ideal system to manage both
Print and E-Resources including all house keeping activities and
workflows. One day or the other we will have to adopt new system.  But
definitely KOHA is a wonderful OA-ILS system with many attractive
features, which we can adopt easily by all school libraries to public
libraries to university libraries, irrespective number of holdings.

Dr. I.R.N. Goudar
Ex. Visiting Professor and Library Adviser
Mysore University Library
University of Mysore
Manasagangotri, MYSORE - 570 006
Ex Scientist 'G' and Head, ICAST, NAL, Bangalore
E-mail: goudarishwar at gmail.com