[Koha] How to handle a temporarily closed branch?

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Tue Jun 17 01:37:54 NZST 2014

Hi!

Oslo Public Library needs to close some of its branches every now and
then. How are y'all handling that in Koha?

Our idea so far is twofold:

1. Make it possible to mark a branch as closed and have the effect of
this be that the library can not be selected as a pickup location when
placing a hold.

(This could either be a checkbox saying "this branch is now closed",
or it could be a from date and a to date, in which case the library
would be disabled as a pickup location between these dates.)

2. Create a new value for the NOT_LOAN authorized value, e.g. 3 =
"Branch closed". Then we would create a plugin or a new tool to make
it easy to update the "Not for loan" status of all items connected to
the given branch, that has a 0 value for the "Not for loan" data. (And
make it equally easy to go back the other way when the library is open
again.)

(This could perhaps also be combined: Make it possible to set dates
for closing and opening, and then have a script that is run every
night that checks if any libraries are due to be opened or closed, and
then updates the "Not for loan" values accordingly.)

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Better ways to do it? Angles we are missing?

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
Oslo Public Library