[Koha] Looking for more Serials Documentation help

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:43:44 NZST 2014

Hello all,

With the new serials module in Koha 3.14 we have a lot of questions coming
in and my documentation is not thorough enough because I admit I haven't
had time to really dig deep in to it.

I'm wondering if I could enlist some of you to submit patches to the manual
for this section and/or send me documentation in other formats that you'd
like me to include in the manual.

The big issues are:

* The lack of the 'rollover' is very confusing to people - rollover made
sense and people have been using it for ages so now the 'inner counter' is
causing all kinds of questions and while I know how to fill it in to make
things work (sometimes) I don't really understand it either.

* This email I got: "My staff reports, and I confirmed sitting next to
them, going through the steps, that the manual for the serials module is
not as helpful as hoped for.  In particular, it would be very helpful to
have several step by step examples on how to setup a serial (a couple or
three, with different publishing patterns) that could be applied to our
subscriptions.  For example, the manual has a section for setting up new
numbering patterns, but the screen shots are blank.  A concrete example
with explanations on every field to fill out -- say for a pattern that is
year/volume/issue would go a very long way and should address most
questions.  Of course, we were and are further confused by the fact that
data we enter and save in the patterns isn't actually saved, but that seems
to be a broader problem affecting us right now and not specific to the
serials module."

* The fact that you can't edit the manual history unless you have the
'manual history' box checked when creating the subscription - when before
we could edit it at any time .... also confusing.

So, if you understand and/or use the current serials module in 3.14 or 3.16
I'd love to hear from you with edits to the manual to help Koha users
around the world.

The sections are: http://manual.koha-community.org/3.14/en/serials.html and
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.14/en/sampleserialsapp.html

Thanks in advance,