[Koha] Koha vs Liblime Koha

Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se
Fri Dec 5 21:44:24 NZDT 2014

The biggest practical problem that you might run into is of course that there is only one vendor for the LibLime fork so they can name any price they want to fix bugs that you find. Even if it does seem they actualy have a public Git repository for their fork these days you will have a very hard time finding anyone working with Koha willing to touch that code.

As for reusing your understanding of Koha with the LibLime fork I think you will have no problem moving around the system. A look at their demos tells me that their fork is still very clearly based on Koha as it existed at the time of the fork. But then again there have been many years of separate development so the two systems will differ greatly in workflow, functionality (and bugs) as you move past the basics. The two products is the same in much the same way as ”Microsoft office” and ”LibreOffice” and ”Open Office” is the same. They aspire to solve the same needs and have a similar name. And as with LibreOffice and OpenOffice they even share a common ancestry but they are all still very different things.

I do think it’s very unfortunate that LibLime is still using the Koha name and touting the virtues of open source. But that’s another story. As for using Koha or the LibLime fork of it I’d go for Koha any second - but thanks for asking the question. The question of ”I wonder if LibLime put some sweet stuff in their fork” have been in the back of my head for years, but looking at their demos and a look at their Git repo (albeit a quick one) left me joyfully and thoroughly unimpressed ;)

Viktor Sarge
Utvecklingsledare
Regionbibliotek Halland
Kultur i Halland

TFN: 035-17 98 73
E-POST: Viktor.Sarge at regionhalland.se
BESÖKSADRESS: Södra vägen 9, 30180 Halmstad
WEBB: www.regionhalland.se/regionbibliotek