[Koha] Possible APP development

Sue McMillan sue.mcmillan at STDC.govt.nz
Tue Apr 15 08:23:54 NZST 2014

Thanks for everyone's input. The different views are interesting.

I see one of the major advantages of having an app that uses push notifications is that here in NZ internet access for people outside of the major centres is patchy at best.  Connecting to a webpage over a cell phone network or even a landline is near impossible in rural areas as the connection is weak and/or drops out continuously.  High speed broadband is limited to major cities.  Towns outside of these areas have broadband but at very low speeds.  Some (un)lucky places still have dial up.

Most rural cell phone connections get enough signal send and receive texts but not phone calls, and definitely not enough to load a webpage.

Personally I would much rather have an app that sends me notifications alerting me to the need to renew books or that a held item is ready for collection than remember to login to a webpage.

Regards
Susan McMillan
Cataloguing and Systems Administrator| South Taranaki District Council
105-111 Albion St, Hawera 4610 | Private Bag 902, Hawera 4640, NZ
Phone: +64 6 278 0555 | Cell: | www.southtaranaki.com

privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy
any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised and may be illegal. Please
note that this communication does not designate an information system
for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.