[Koha] Possible APP development

Sue McMillan sue.mcmillan at STDC.govt.nz
Thu Apr 10 08:20:35 NZST 2014

Hello everyone,

After a brainstorming session this morning I have come up with the idea of an Apple and Android app that give users the ability to manage their Koha account without signing in the library catalogue. Not knowing the limitations of apps (so I may be asking for too much!) these are the features that I  feel patrons would find useful in a Koha app. There may be other crucial tasks that I haven't listed below that other libraries or patrons would find useful.

1.	The app keeps the patron signed in (probably by entering their Library card number and password into the app)
2.	Lists all resources currently issued to their card (or maybe the ones due in the next x number of days?)
3.	Alerts patrons to resources that are coming up overdue.
4.	Gives the patron the ability to renew books from the app, with a single swipe or click
5.	Alerts the patron to Holds that come available for pickup
6.	Gives the patron the ability to delete the hold with a single swipe or click and at the same time alerts the library via an email or something that the book is no longer needed.
7.	Gives the patron the ability to contact the library via the app.
8.	Gives the patron he ability to review a resource and leave a star rating (if this is enabled in the catalogue).
9.	And the nice to have would be the ability to have something like amazon recommendations "Patrons who read this book also read.....)

I would imagine patrons would want the ability to download the app for free from the Google play or iTunes store.

Is there any library interested in such a development and a developer with the skills to undertake the project?  Or possibly someone is already working on this.

Regards
Susan McMillan
Cataloguing and Systems Administrator| South Taranaki District Council
105-111 Albion St, Hawera 4610 | Private Bag 902, Hawera 4640, NZ
Phone: +64 6 278 0555 | Cell: | www.southtaranaki.com

privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy
any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised and may be illegal. Please
note that this communication does not designate an information system
for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.