[Koha] Comparing Koha

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:12:17 NZST 2014

Greetings,

To be honest, I am not familiar with using Athena myself, but I do know
this. My colleagues (in the Philippines) and I migrated our data from our
old Athena system to Koha successfully. This involved a lot of data clean
up, because data entry in Athena was not consistently done properly.
However, the results have been nothing but great for us. I'm the computer
person involved in maintaining and tweaking our Koha system, and the
community support on the IRC channel and mailing lists
(http://koha-community.org/support/free-support/) have been invaluable.

You can read about the functionality of Koha in the documentation online
(http://koha-community.org/documentation/). I know it has Acquisitions,
Serials, Circulation, Cataloguing, Reporting, and Manuals (including some
contextual help as well as online [see previous URL]). I don't know what you
mean by Supervisor, though there is certainly a user privilege system which
gives or denies access to various sections of Koha. You don't ask about any
of the other functionalities that also exist in Koha, so you really should
read the documentation to which I have given a link to see what wonderful
things you are missing.

Do not let the lack of ease in data migration be the reason you stay locked
into a proprietary system. I am sure any one of the paid support providers
(http://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/) could assist you, if you
find the task too difficult to do yourself. Koha is not going to disappear
like Athena or some other proprietary software, and it is only going to
continually get better, because an active community is constantly working to
make it better.

I hope these URLs will be useful in your research.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett