[Koha] Placing Hold on recently added items

Rajeshwari Nair raj at cmi.ac.in
Thu Apr 3 00:15:12 NZDT 2014

Hi,

In KOHA (as far as I know!) any item type can either be "for loan" or "not for loan". Our KOHA settings do not allow members to place hold on items that are  available on shelf. Needless to say items under 'reference' also cannot be put on hold.

When new books are added they are classified as 'Recent Additions' and are placed on the 'Recent Additions Shelf" for display for a week. Item type 'Recent Additions' falls under 'not for loan' and thus cannot be issued until the items are reclassified to 'Books' while shelving. (This ensures that members do not issue a book that is on display.)

The downside of this system is that since the item is under 'not for loan and available on shelf' members are unable to place hold on items that they would like to issue as soon as it is shelved.

Can anyone suggest a way where members can place hold on items that are recently added but is on display?

-Rajeshwari