[Koha] Importing books from a csv file, including bar codes

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 20:18:38 NZDT 2013

Hi

It doesn't look like it is a part of MARC.  And since it is not a
> part of MARC, I can't really just import a MARC file, can I?

Yes you can import data in marc format includes Item data by using the 952
field at the end of each bib record .

so if you have 3 Items in your first record

your record should end with something like this :

952 \\$aMain $bBrunch $p1001 $t C-1 $o020 ABC.D
952 \\$aMain $bBrunch $p1002 $t C-2 $o020 ABC.D
952 \\$aMain $bBrunch $p1003 $t C-3 $o020 ABC.D

that's it ,
and as what guys told you , you can use marcedit to make it easy mapping
your fields to marc and local koha fields (like item field )

the 952 sub-fields are :

    0 - Withdrawn status
    2 - Source of classification or shelving scheme
    3 - Materials specified (bound volume or other part)
    4 - Damaged status
    5 - Use restrictions
    7 - Not for loan
    8 - Collection code
    a - Permanent location
    b - Current location
    c - Shelving location
    d - Date acquired ...
    e - Source of acquisition
    f - Coded location qualifier
    g - Cost, normal purchase price
    h - Serial Enumeration / chronology
    i - Inventory number
    j - Shelving control number
    o - Full call number
    p - Barcode ...
    t - Copy number
    u - Uniform Resource Identifier
    v - Cost, replacement price
    w - Price effective from
    x - Non-public note
    y - Koha item type
    z - Public note

Best Regards

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM, magmatic <magmatic at timkoop.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to import books into Koha.  We have a few thousand books with
> bar
> code stickers stuck onto them and we don't want to change them.  If I got a
> csv file with the authors, titles, and bar codes, how can I import this?
>
> I looked around at how to set the bar code of a book in Koha, but I
> couldn't
> find it.  It doesn't look like it is a part of MARC.  And since it is not a
> part of MARC, I can't really just import a MARC file, can I?
>
> Help!
>
> --
> Tim

*Karam Qubsi*