[Koha] Template or framework?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Oct 8 07:22:50 NZDT 2013

Background info:
We don't circulate a lot of materials (probably less than one item per
day on average).  80% of the book stock is not yet in Koha (we have a
legacy card catalogue). We only circulate books that we have more than
one copy - nothing else leaves the building.

When we brought the circulation system into play, I  suggested to the
staff that they could use the Fast Add Framework to put in a brief
record before issuing something that's not already in Koha, and then
place a hold the item so when it's returned they can update the
catalogue.

This hasn't worked well for various reasons. The Fast Add framework is
lacking in critical fields. I've added a few, but there are still more
that we need.

 I could either add the rest of the necessary fields to the Fast Add
framework (tedious, but possible) or, build a template for quickly
adding things on the fly.

I'm not sure which method is best.
The framework could be applied to a Z39.50 download, which would then
hide the extraneous fields and possibly result in a more accurate
catalogue record (the joy of cataloguing a book while on the front
desk with the phone ringing and a patron waiting and someone else
fussing with the photocopier right next to you).

The template is a familiar tool as I've already got a couple in place
for some of the more complex types of material, but unfortunately when
you duplicate a template for editing, you end up with all those extra
fields.

Or. . .  a combination of both?

Any thoughts?

Elaine