[Koha] Duplicating a running environment

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 03:48:25 NZDT 2013

Steve

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Steven Nickerson <snicker1 at maine.rr.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>    If I have a working 3.12.00.000 environment installed from the Debian
> squeeze packages, what is the best way to make an exact, complete duplicate
> onto a 2nd machine?  Can anyone send me or point me to some step-by-step
> instructions?   Doesn't have to be complete details, just the general steps
> (i.e. install Koha from scratch from the packages, backup MySQL DB, copy
> "such-and-such" a directory from the 1st machine to the 2nd and modify
> "this" config. File and "that", etc.).  Do I have to make sure that the
> same
> version of Koha is installed on the 2nd machine, and if so, how do I force
> apt-get to install the 3.12.00.000 version?   Or can I copy the existing
> Koha directories over from the 1st server to the 2nd and not even do the
> install via the packages on the 2nd one?

I'm not sure you'll be able to get 3.12.00 installed using packages, due to
the absence of 3.12.0 packages on the repo. If you had the .deb package
(you might have it in /var/cache/apt/...) you could simply do:

 $ sudo dpkg -i path/to/the.deb

You should then create an instance named the same as in the production
server, and then overwrite its configuration files in
/etc/koha/sites/your-instance

Also, if you tweaked some other files, make them reflect those changes.

The last step would be to DROP the newly created database, and load it
again using a dump from the production server.
Remeber you can create a backup of the database and configs on the
production server running:

 $ sudo koha-dump your-instance

In fact, there's a koha-restore command you could do some research on.

BTW: I think you should always have the latest release installed, for
instance there was a security release a while ago so you are not covered
from that vulnerability.

Upgrading is easy as issuing:

 $ sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade

(and you wont have to bother about installing the old-no-available version).

Regards
To+

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi