[Koha] LiveDVD building

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 17:15:03 NZDT 2013

Greetings,

I'd like to point out that your LiveDVD is not the sanctioned one, and that
Nguyen Quoc Uy is listed as responsible for generating a 3.14.x LiveDVD.
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roles_for_3.14

Also, no such role will exist for 3.16 -- I guess no one should up for the
role voting and discussing IRC meetings.
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roles_for_3.16

As for VKV's LiveDVD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/kohalivedvd/), except
for the fact that it was Ubuntu Desktop (Koha is intended to be a server,
and not running on just a single machine), I thought that was an okay
attempt at one. It also has the advantage of being able to sudo apt-get
update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and then you have
the latest version, just like a package installation, if you use it as an
installation DVD. :)

It should be noted as well that LiveDVDs have the sad distinction of being
out of date the instant they are burned and distributed. So, my
understanding of the general consensus on LiveDVDs is that they are bad for
production use, but great for trial use, training sessions, or other
short-term non-production uses.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett