[Koha] Summary of Open session at KohaCon13 - with a focus on Funding the Future of Koha.

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Nov 12 09:32:17 NZDT 2013

* MJ Ray (mjr at phonecoop.coop) wrote:
> Paul Poulain wrote:
> > Le 07/11/2013 17:31, glaws a écrit :
> >> *+1. Excellent idea! How would this work? Would the
> >> funding organization contract directly with a separate dev
> >> to signoff/QA, or would the code developer contract
> >> with someone to do this? Would there be a conflict of
> >> interest if the funding organization had someone on their staff
> >> sign/QA if that person was qualified?*
> > I started a private discussion with some other developers yesterday,
> > about this question.
> >
> > There are different ways to achieve this goal:
> >  * the funder funds 3 different organisations he choose
> >  * the funder funds 1 organisation, that sub-contract 2 others
>
> Uh-oh!  I think both of those present the same conflict of interest that
> is why it is(was?) discouraged for people from one company to do all the
> development and signing on a patch: they all have a short-term financial
> incentive to approve less-than-great work.  I'm sure many wouldn't, but
> it still means the reviews aren't very independent.
>
> I'd like it if developers could barter sign-off reviews (not the actual
> sign-offs, because it takes as much time to reject with reasons - if not
> more time) in a bit more structured/asynchronous way than the current
> IRC-based begging/nagging.  Then a funder could fund 1 organisation and
> it barters reviews with others to ensure its developments get reviewed.
>  Has anyone an easy way to do this?

I plan to write something, but I need help from a UX person.

I want a simple taskboard, with bugs, that people can claim by a
simple click. Then a simple karma type system. ByWater have signed off
10 Catalyst patches, Catalyst have signed off 5 software.coop and 1
Bywater patch, leaving Catalyst 4 patches to go ... kind of idea.

It's not fully formed, but if it sounds like something people would to
see, or explore further, let me know and I will devote some evenings
to it.

Chris

--
Chris Cormack