[Koha] koha - consortia

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Nov 5 10:18:47 NZDT 2013

I hear the next release (3.14) will have more features for specifying
parameters for individual branches this may or may not suit your
needs.  It's due out soon, and might be worth  looking into.  I know
we're considering a very small consortia with very different
requirements for each library (not even located in the same county,
and with separate loan policies, types of borrowers, and shelving
locations). Still trying to decide the best way to move forward, but
as both libraries are run on a shoestring we're taking our time.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Kivilahti Olli-Antti
<olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi> wrote:
> Hello Mr. Maileseni and Mr. Sasse.
>
> A very interesting question.
> Firstly you should tell us what kind of features you need for a consortium?
>
> I know you can run a succesful consortium with zero consortial features
> and probably this will be the best way for your staff and your patrons,
> since it is really simple to have unified settings. It is also the most
> clear solution to your users if you allow transportation of items
> between libraries.
>
> If you are not transferring material between libraries and want to limit
> the availability of your items to a specific library, you can do that
> with UseIndependentBranches-feature. If you want libraries A, B, and C
> to form a sub-consortium and libraries D, E and F to form their own; and
> limit permissions and holds and acquisitions between consortias, while
> sharing the same user and bibliographic database, Koha wil limit your
> barrier building, but you should aim to resolve those issues politically
> by making compromises.
>
> Tho if you have only 6 libraries I recommend you unify practices, let
> everyone edit each others item and patron records and work more closely
> together. It is proven that libraries deliver more success by working
> together than building or maintaining artificial walls. Especially since
> everyone is cutting our budgets.
>
> Olli-Antti Kivilahti
> Project Manager
> Open Library 2014
> Joensuu Regional Library
>
> --Powered by Linuxmint
>
> On 04.11.2013 15:15, koha-request at lists.katipo.co.nz wrote:

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance
and Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me
personally, send an e-mail first. I work off site)