[Koha] Master-password (katikoan) and Live-DVD

Lars J. Helbo lars at helbo.org
Tue May 21 20:35:08 NZST 2013

Hi,

I am trying to promote Koha here in Denmark. We have a large number of
small private schools for whick Koha is just great. However, often they
do not have a lot of knowhow on Linux terminal (or nothing at all). Here
the Live-DVD is really great. Starting with that, I try to make
step-by-step guides (on my site koha.dk) to help people without any
preconditions to get started.

One of the major remaining obstacles is the need to change the master
password katikoan. I have made a guide on this and I think most people
should be able to handle it. However, it made me wonder, if this
obstacle could be avoided? One possibility would off course be to let
people enter their own password during the installation from the
live-DVD, but that would probably complicate the installation proces and
I like that to be as simple as possible.

Therefore I had another idea, but I dont know, if this is at all
possible. Could the "scope" of the users be limited? What I would like
was, if this master-user (with password katikoan) would only work, if
you sit and log in directly at the server (not across any network). Then
you would install koha on the server, log in there and create at least
one admin-user. Then you could use this to log in from somewhere else
and continue from there. In this case there would be no need to change
katikoan, because nobody from outside could use it.

Maybe this could be extended. When you create admin-users, you may give
them different permissions. Maybe these could be dependent on whether
you log in at the server, from the local network or across the Internet.
I think this could increase the general security? At least I could
easily imagine cases, where a user should have admin-rights only, when
sitting inside the house at the local network.
--
Venlig hilsen
Lars J. Helbo
lars at helbo.org