[Koha] 505 tag: formatted contents notes

Bob Elgie bob.elgie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:02:08 NZDT 2013

> I am cataloging a collection of several hundred CDs, each of which
> contains at least 12 or more songs with potentially as many different
> performers.  A few days ago I was cataloging a 2-volume title with 2 discs
> per volume and a total of 78 songs and performers!  My question is how to
> enter these into the Koha record.  Do I simply duplicate the 505  tag  over
> and over again?  This is what I did but I'm wondering if there is a better
> way.  My users need to get down to  the band or song level when they search.
>
> Paula Corman
> The Musical Instrument Museum
> Phoenix, AZ.

As a brief example, look at "Ivor Novello songs" at Worldcat
https://www.worldcat.org/title/ivor-novello-songs/oclc/62391480&referer=brief_results

If you create a basic 505 (ind2 is blank) (displaying in the MarcEdit
format) :

=505  0\$aKing's rhapsody. Some day my heart will awake (3:00) -- The
dancing years. Primrose (2:12) -- Perchance to dream. Love is my reason
(2:54) -- Arc de Triomphe. Love is my reason (2:54) -- The little damozel
(2:53) -- Glamorous night. When the gypsy played (5:14) -- ........

users cannot search by title for "King's rhapsody" or "Some day my heart..."

On the other hand if you set ind2 to 0 and format the contents they can:

=505  00$tKing's rhapsody.$tSome day my heart will awake$g(3:00) --$tThe
dancing years.$tPrimrose$g(2:12) --$tPerchance to dream.$tLove is my
reason$g(2:54) --$tArc de Triomphe.$tLove is my reason$g(2:54) --$tThe
little damozel$g(2:53) --$tGlamorous night.$tWhen the gypsy played$g(5:14)
-- ........

If you need several 505s, it may be useful to set ind1 to 8 in the second
and subsequent notes to suppress the display constant.

But if what you're cataloging has uniform titles, I find it's better to go
with added entries; ditto if you want to allow your patrons to search
extensively on performers.

As far as entering data for an enhanced 505, the web interface for koha
makes it a real pain in the neck. It's easier by far to use MarcEdit
(unless I'm missing a short cut in koha).

I hope that's the sort of information you were looking for.

Bob Elgie