[Koha] MARC Edit

Iming Chan imingchan at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 9 03:02:24 NZST 2013

Dear all,

I totally agreed with Ola on the flexibility issue of the Marc Edit screen.
It seriously needs enhancement!  Ability to add new tag(s) and subfield(s)
should be part of this.  The current design means all tags and subfields
need to be present on the cataloging framework.  I would suggest the
following enhancement:

1. Using spreadsheet format (rows and columns) for data entry area.  You can
have columns (left to right): Tag, I1 (Indicator 1), I2 (Indicator 2) and
Data.  Remove Koha 0 to 9 tabs at top.

2. Expert cataloguers can enter the 3-digit MARC tag number straight in the
Tag column.  If unsure, click on the dropdown arrow (positioned between the
Tag and I1 columns), where a new window will pop up allowing the cataloguer
to select from an "expandable tree" like below:

- Title
     - Main entry
     - Added entry
+ Author
+ Imprint
+ Notes
+ Subjects
+ Numbers

Click on the required heading will automatically expand to the next level of
heading(s), if available.  Once the lowest level of heading has been
selected, pop-up screen will close.  The corresponding MARC tag and
indicator(s) will automatically inserted into the grid(s).  Indicator
column(s) will be grayed out for those tags that do not require such input.
The mouse cursor will move to the next required data entry position.

3. Once a MARC tag has been determined for a row/line, the cataloguer can
enter required subfield tag (i.e. $a) or press [Insert] key to display
pop-up screen with available subfield tag and corresponding headings.

4. For clarity, subfield tags should be presented in different colour to the
actual data.  Depending on the preference, multipe subfields maybe entered
all on the same line instead of separate lines like now.

5. For lengthy details, the size of the "cell" will automatically expand and
text wrapped (like MS Excel).

6. For Leader, 006, 007 or 008 tags, "..." will appear like now that allow
data entry of further details.  For tags that require authority validation,
perhaps a "search glass" will appear and the cataloguer can click to
complete this task.

7. Press [Tab] to move to the next line/tag.

8. To delete a line, simply highlight the required row (like MS Excel) and
then click [X]

This is just my suggestion.

Iming

-----