[Koha] Problems with Zebra index

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Wed Jul 24 00:40:10 NZST 2013

Oliver,

thank you very much for your reply!

> In fact I forgot to run zebraidx as user koha-koha, and so you were right:
> I had bad permissions on the index files in shadow. I tried to fix that by
> changing the ownership and restarted zebra, but that had no effect. So I
> guess you are right, that I messed up my index by trying that (which is not
> too bad; I can still remove the index and try again as koha-koha). I hope
> nothing else broke by that mistake, and the database is still fine?!

Your best bet actually is to use the koha-rebuild-zebra command, which will
automatically use the correct user. But your data is definitely safe, just
not searchable yet.

> To increase the disk space, thats exactly what I did: I changed the value
> in zebra-biblios.cfg. But can you explain, what the directories are used
> for? After finishing indexing, will I have data in both directories or
> could I configure my 100 GB disk, so that both directories can take 80 GB
> space? I will try that and see...

The register directory stores the actual index, and the shadow directly
stores a working copy during the indexing process. If you do a full index
with shadow enabled, you'll run out of space on the 100GB disk, but my
experience is that in ordinary day-to-day work, it's unlikely you'll have a
problem.

I still have a problem with rebuild_zebra.pl: it ignores the -s parameter.
> If I understood that right, rebuild_zebra should use an existing
> exported_records file, if I use the parameter -s and -d. But it doesn't.
> Any time I'm starting rebuild_zebra, the script exports my database (this
> takes pretty much time and I wanted to bypass it). Is this a bug or am I
> missing anything?

It's always worked for me, so I'm not sure what the problem would be here.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/