[Koha] Help Re: Journal Articles

Fred King kohauser at phred.us
Fri Jul 12 06:44:19 NZST 2013

More good suggestions--thank you.

> Just a thought, you could use the location code (LOC) instead of
> collection
> code for the hospital.  This is one of those instances where talking to a
> few potential end users might help you understand what types of
> information
> they want, and how they would like to be able to search, subdivide, or
> otherwise organize it.

LOC is a good idea, and we'll definitely be talking to end-users about
what they want. Our primary goal is to make the information widely
available, and to assist in making it easy for an author or department to
generate a quick list of publications to demonstrate the kind of scholarly
research they're doing.

> I don't know what your IT support is like, but our computer wizard set the
> background color of our test site to pepto bismol pink so we would know
> instantly if we were working in test or production. You might want to do
> something (perhaps more subtle) so it is visually obvious that the two
> sites are not the same.

Good idea! When it comes to Linux, I'm our IT support (the hospital uses
XP, changing to Win7 sometime soon), but it gives me a new puzzle to work
on.

(Yes, I'm still an Ubuntu novice, but I'm learning fast.)

> Or. . . I wonder if an online reference manager like Zotero would be an
> alternative.
[snip]

We looked into Zotero and wasn't impressed. This was a while ago, and
things may have changed. One big drawback is teaching our users how to use
it. We're hoping that something that looks like a library catalog will be
easier for them to learn. Our doctors and nurses are brilliant people, but
they have a lot on their minds.

Cheers,

Fred King
kohauser at phred.us