[Koha] Merge records (was add only item info for duplicate records)

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri Jan 18 07:47:16 NZDT 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM, soulemane moumie <moumie23 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi Elaine!
> Thanks for taking your precious time to answer my questions.
> Please what you meant by "Once in Koha you can merge biblios, to get all
> the items into one record, ". Are saying that there is an option in koha
> for merging identical record ?
> Or doing it manually ?
>  I really appreciate your help. I am new to koha and I am going to
> implement/customize it for our  library.

Yes, you can merge records in Koha. This combines the information
(including item records) into one biblio.  To do this:
Search for the title.
Select the items you wish to merge and save them to a list.
Go to the list and again select the titles you wish to merge
Click on the button (at the bottom of the list ) "Merge selected records"
You will be asked to choose a reference record - think of this as the base
record into which any other information will be added (so if one record is
more complete than the other, choose that one).
Click the "Next" button
The merging records are displayed under tabs on the left with the reference
record on top and the final version on the right under Destination record.
 Look at the other tabs and compare them with the destination record, click
on any fields you wish to add to the destination record.
When you have finished adding fields to the destination record, click
"Merge"
It will automatically move any items from the old records over to the new
record.

As you can see, it takes some time and effort to do this. This is why it
may be quicker to combine the records offline before uploading them.

  Still, sometimes my colleagues forget to search our catalogue before
adding another record, and when I find the duplicates I merge them.

I hope this helps
Elaine

Regards.

--