[Koha] Enquire about Paid Support Vendor for KOHA

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Tue Jan 8 12:51:23 NZDT 2013

On 08/01/13 04:24, contact at viavitae.co.in wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> We are interested to be a paid support provider for Koha. In this regards
> we want to know that:
>
> a. Is this possible to charge price for enhanced customization and support
> rendering for Koha. (we found that it is under GPL; is there any issue for
> charging for customization, installation and provide support through the
> year).
There is nothing to stop you.  If by 'customization' you are
contemplating software development, the community welcomes contributions
to the Koha code.  Be aware that changing the code without contributing
the modifications back to the community is in effect creating a fork of
Koha (which the GPL allows but which may not be in your client's long
term interests).  More information is at koha-community.org.

> b. If it is possible, then please give us a guideline to how to become a
> paid support provider (vendor) for koha.
Find a client who has confidence in your knowledge of library practice,
of Koha and its operating environment, who will agree to pay the fees
you intend to charge and who will be confident of your long term
viability as a support provider.  Participate actively in the community
at koha-community.org.