[Koha] A query on 008 character 39

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri Feb 15 10:24:00 NZDT 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Indranil Das Gupta <indradg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Indranil Das Gupta <indradg at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this is more of a query for the catalogers. At the 39th character, of
> 008,
> > Koha offers - #, c, d, u, |

I think it probably varies from one record to the next in many libraries.
All the records we've uploaded from our old database were marked d for
other, because we created them ourselves.

> > Are this values arbitrary? Would it be correct to encode an additional
> > value in the plugin template for a specific library?

It  would not be correct to  add another value. #, c, d, u, | are your only
choices.

> or should I stick with
> > using 040 for that purpose?

Yes, 040 expands on 008_39 - that's where our Library code UkLoVW goes for
the records that are marked d in 008_39

> Since posting this, I read up
>
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd040.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2009/2009-dp05.html

I use the MARC site all the time.  Especially for the 008 field!
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd008.html

> I guess that mostly answers my own question. Still I would be happy to hear
> from the experienced folks around :)
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Indranil Das Gupta
>
> Phone : +91-98300-20971
> Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
> IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
> Twitter : indradg

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)