[Koha] linking authorities to biblios

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Feb 5 07:46:09 NZDT 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Haik Zargaryan <haikzargaryan at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> We have recently upgraded to koha 3.10. After importing our catalog and
> authority records we have used link_bibs_to_authorities.pl script to link
> them. During the process I was frequently (once per 1000 record) seeing
> this error on the console.
> -----
> Auth error: Query term includes characters that do not translate into the
> target character set (1072)  Bib-1
> -----
>
> However, when the process is over it seems that authorities were linked to
> the biblios. The message below appears in the console.
>

> Bib authority heading linking report
> Linker module:                          C4::Linker::Default
> Run started at:                         02/04/13 10:40:18
> Run ended at:                           02/04/13 11:16:16
> Total run time:                         2157486 ms
> Number of bibs checked:                 255350
> Number of bibs modified:                0
> Number of bibs with errors:             0
> Number of headings linked:              44199
> Number of headings unlinked:            722664
> Number of headings fuzzily linked:      0
> Moreover, when i go to specific records in the sub field 100 $9 I can see
> the appropriate authority code. Yet, when I search for the authority in the
> *Used in* column *0 records* is written.

Not sure about the above, but whenever we do anything serious we rebuild
zebra as the final step.
I have a couple reports that I use to find 1XX and 6XX  names and terms
that are not linked to authorities, but your problem sounds like they have
the linking authority number there, it's just not working.

> What is more, I was told that starting from this version we can search for
> the records using the *authority 400 a$* field instead of the author name
> just preliminary turning on syspref "IncludeSeeFromInSearches".
> Unfortunately, this feature worked neither.

We're running  3.10.02 and following these instructions (from bug
7417)  "IncludeSeeFromInSearches" worked fine for us.

to enable the inclusion of alternate forms of headings in bibliographic
searches. When the new syspref IncludeSeeFromInSearches is turned on
(default is off) rebuild_zebra.pl will insert see from headings from
authority records into bibliographic records when indexing, so that a
search on an obsolete term will turn up relevant records.

To test:
1) Enable IncludeSeeFromInSearches
2) Add a heading that has an alternate form to a record (for example,
   "Cooking" has the alternate form "Cookery," if you have authority
   records from LC)
3) Index the zebraqueue (or reindex if you haven't indexed your system
   yet)
4) Confirm that if you search for "Cookery" you get the record you

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler