[Koha] What's up with That?

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 08:49:09 NZDT 2013

Hi Phillip.

I think I will leave it up to the more experienced people who install on
Ubuntu to comment on the ins and outs of Apache configuration for Koha on
Ubuntu, as this is where I think the issue is.

Here is a link to the instructions:
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages
> The message that I'm getting is just that the apache web server is
> active.  This takes place anytime I use the browser with: http://ipaddress:
> 80. I'll have to wait until I go back into work to find get the original
> message.
>
> Thing in your email that may fix the problem:
>
> I did not disable the default web browser site.
> The server is not listening on port 8080 only on port 80.

I would tend to go with the koha-community wiki instructions. Note: I think
they need to be updated to clarify the port numbers and Apache
configuration. On a default installation the public catalogue runs on port
80 and the administration interface (also called the staff client) runs on
port 8080.

I will work on updating the wiki when I get a chance, unless someone else
beats me to it.

> Other instructions indicate that I should delete the default web site
> also.
> One set of intructions says I should delete the koha website and then
> start a new one under the name of my instance as shown below.  (
> http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/Koha/Installation)

I think the difference with these instructions is in step 4 where it says
'sudo apt-get install koha koha-common bibutils etckeeper' - normally you
only go 'sudo apt-get install koha-common' rather than 'sudo apt-get
install koha koha-common'. I think you are only supposed to do one or the
other, not both.

If you are only running Koha on the server then you do need to disable the
default site. If you are running other sites on the same server then the
assumption is you will know what you are doing and know how to configure
Apache correctly.

With a default Koha installation (on Debian anyway) an Apache configuration
file is only created when you create an instance. This configuration file
needs to be updated with the correct port numbers/server names. Then the
ports.conf file needs to be updated with the correct port numbers for
Apache to listen on.

If you are installing Koha on a networked server and have a server name
assigned to the server IP address then the server, Apache and the Koha
Apache configuration file needs to be configured appropriately for this.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

> I'm going back in to try this again tonight.
>
> Hope the port issue solves the problem....

Note: with the mailing list you need to reply all for any responses to be
sent to the list, forgot to do this for my initial response!

Regards.