[Koha] What's up with That? (installing on Ubuntu)

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 07:38:08 NZDT 2013

Note: copy to list as I forgot to 'reply all'.

Hi Phillip.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and then following the instructions on the Koha
> website, I installed Koha not once but three times while trying to get it
> to work.

Could you provide a link to the instructions you used?

Did you install using the packages? (The recommended way for most standard
installations)?

> On the third time I installed Lynx and tried to connect to Koha directly
> on the box but all I could get was what looked like an apache web page as
> the webbrowser said:  "Its working but there's no data when I tried to
> connect using the localhost and then the server IP Address.

What is the exact message you are getting?

If you have used the packages for installation you need to disable the
default Apache configuration, make sure your site configuration is enabled,
and enable listening on port 8080.

On Debian (not sure for Ubuntu, but I think it is similar and assuming you
have sudo installed rather than using root) it is:
sudo a2dissite default
sudo vi (or nano) /etc/apache2/ports.conf and add Listen 8080 after the
Listen 80 entry
make sure your site configuration is enabled under
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled (sudo a2ensite nameofyoursiteconfig)
 sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

David Nind | david.nind at gmail.com
PO Box 12367, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand 6144
h. +64 4 9720 600 | m. +64 21 0537 847 | w. +64 4 8906 098