[Koha] Koha Users of North America Email List

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Dec 18 13:11:16 NZDT 2013

I'm ambivalent about the usefulness of a North American mailing list,
except that I suppose it might help enhance a sense of community over what
is a rather wide swath of landmass. But I also fear that it will dilute the
usefulness of this list which has proven invaluable to so many.

                                               However, I think a regional
meeting would be a grand thing. As someone who has to pay for any travel to
Koha meetings, I was thrilled the last one was within easy striking
distance of home (not in London, as the sig file might suggest, but the
west coast of North America).
It was a huge learning experience for me, and Koha has benefitted as well
because my other half - the computer expert part of the team, has been
inspired to contribute patches.
The more people we can get involved on a local(ish) level, the better I'd
say.
Elaine

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM, BWS Johnson <abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Salvete!
>

> > The mailing list in question is open to anybody to subscribe to and (once
> > it accumulates traffic), its archives will be visible to anybody.  To
> raise
> > questions about discriminatory intent or outcomes before it fairly gets
> off
> > the ground, is at best premature.  I will presume that you are raising
> this
> > concern in good faith, but request and expect that you extend the same
> > presumption of good faith in turn.
> >

>     In especial in this case. Nora has been a solid Community member for
> many years at this point. The consortium she represents is one of our
> singular best test cases anywhere at all, since it is massive AND divers.
> Frankly, if it weren't for her, we'd be a much smaller lot of users and
> much further away from discussing a regionally specific listserv. So thank
> you, Nora. :)
>
>     I have no desire to see things become insular, either. However, as a
> Community on the whole now, we're much larger than we were a decade ago. As
> Johnson points out, big is different. In this case, I think people are just
> trying to keep some noise off of the big list. Though one of my favourite
> things will remain Koha listserv messages in languages other than English.
> :)
>
> My 2 beads worth,
> Brooke

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)