[Koha] koha and photographs

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Tue Dec 10 10:20:21 NZDT 2013

Hi--

Paul wrote:
> Interesting. 776 or 856? [N.B. I'm not a cataloguer, but from a tech
p.o.v. we often use 856, mostly $u
> and $z, to "link" to a record of the specific biblio. 776 is only used
for *alternate|different* formats of the
> biblio.

In the case of, for example, a photograph of a chart, we would be using
776s in both records to link those bibliographic records in our Koha
catalog and in OCLC, since the photograph is, in a sense, a reproduction of
the chart.

It's the same way we link between digitized books and hardcopy books--they
each have a 776 linking between them.  We use the 856 $u for a link to the
item itself--the item in that particular record.  E.g. this is a record for
a hardcopy bookplate with a 776 linking to the record for the online
version:
http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=36264

And this is the record for the online, digitized, reproduction of that
hardcopy bookplate which not only has the image loaded in our Koha catalog,
but has an 856 to where the online version lives outside of the catalog (in
our digital image repository, NPS Focus), and has a 776 linking it to the
bib record for the hardcopy version:
http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=36289

If we had a photograph of the bookplate, the bib record for the photograph
would have a 776 field in it referring to the record for the hardcopy, but
no 776 to the online version since the photograph wouldn't have a
relationship with the online version (this all gets rather abstract!).

So, yes--the 776 is being used for "alternate/different"
formats--"additional physical form"--such as hardcopy and digitial,
original and reproduction.  It doesn't "link," or contain a link, itself as
in the sense/function of a hypertext link, but bibliographic systems such
as Koha and OCLC can use the fields to generate links among all the
different manifestations of a work.  And we're not using 856s to link
between bibliographic records, but to link to the item that is being
cataloged/represented by that bibliographic record--it's "electronic
location."

Cheerio,
heather
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
Cultural Resources and Museum Management Division
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
heather_hernandez at nps.gov
415-561-7032 (voice)       415-556-3540 (fax)
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/library-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg