[Koha] koha and photographs

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Tue Dec 10 06:06:32 NZDT 2013

Hi--

> What could be the MARC
> tag for place taken? I'm thinking it still is 260$a And date taken? 260$c?

We use the 260 (or 264 with RDA) fields for information on the creation of
the photographic media if we have it (the negative, print, etc.)
supplemented by notes if needed.  We include a summary note about the
content of the image in a 520, e.g. (made up example):

260 _ _ [San Francisco, California] : $b [George Smith Studio], $c [1939]
520 _ _ Group portrait of Permanente Metals Corporation executives visiting
Richmond Shipyard No. 1 before the launch of the SS Really Big Ship on
September 24, 1939.
500 _ _ Printed by the George Smith Studio for distribution to local media.

And then access for the location would be in the subject headings, e.g.:
610 20 Richmond Shipyard Number One (Richmond, Calif.) $v Photographs.
651 0_ Richmond (Calif.) $v Photographs.
610 20 Permanente Metals Corporation $x Employees $v Photographs.
655 _0 Portraits, Group.
710 2_ George Smith Studio (San Francisco, Calif.)
etc.

Some collections also use 75X for geographic information.  We also code the
043 for geographic content, as well.

Also, about your question in your other message about the collection
information, we also include 7XX headings for established collection
titles, so that they are accessible via researchers' keyword searching,
browsing, etc., with appropriate 6XX headings and form subdivisions (like
the above example).

As for types of reproductions, yes--we use notes.  When we don't know much,
a 500 note, e.g. (made up example):
500 _ _ Photograph of painting.

But if we really know exactly what was photographed, then we can do a
detailed 533/534 note combination, and even, e.g., a 776 field to link to
the record of the item photographed (if possible).

Hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
heather
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
Cultural Resources and Museum Management Division
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
heather_hernandez at nps.gov
415-561-7032 (voice)       415-556-3540 (fax)
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/library-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg