[Koha] Koha - Libopedia

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 27 03:22:31 NZST 2013

Greetings,

> I had to try both methods to determine the best support option.

Okay, I can understand installing the wrong way to see why it is the wrong
way. Though, sharing your experiments is probably more confusion than help
for the masses. As Owen Leonard pointed out, using and contributing to
documentation on the Koha wiki is far more useful than writing your own.

> Now you can "flame on" me.

Well, since you invited feedback.

> I have creates a new wiki page, called Koha not KOHA

But you still have KOHA on the page.

> And I have noted the packages installation method.

And you got it wrong, because if you read:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Debian#Everyone
(scroll down to the second line of the second box)
"sudo apt-get install koha-common" is the recommended command.

Instead you have the unrecommended way, as noted by the last sentence of the
same section in italics just above
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Debian#Quick_Start
"It is not recommend that you use this package [referring to koha instead of
koha-common] yet."

There are other problems, but I just chose to highlight one, so that you can
realize why linking to official documentation and the supplementary
documentation you referenced to set up other things is much better than
writing your own documentation and getting any details wrong.

I would recommend writing your instructions like: Install Ubuntu (link to
installing ubuntu), Install LAMP server (link to installing LAMP server),
Install Mail Transfer Agent (link to installing MTA), Install Koha (link to
installing koha). Your instructions will "auto-update", because the links
aren't likely to break and they will be kept current by someone more
familiar with that part of the process. Every time there is a release, check
your instructions. And if something breaks in a given part, ask the
community for that part for updated instructions. This keeps your
instructions always current, rather than having another frozen in time copy
of archaic instructions out on the internet serving as a source of
confusion.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett