[Koha] How frequently to run zebra rebuild and what switches

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Aug 21 13:25:41 NZST 2013

* Steven Nickerson (snicker1 at maine.rr.com) wrote:
> Thanks Chris!
> It turns out I actually do have /etc/cron.d/koha-common and didn't even
> realize it was there (running as ROOT, as well as
> /etc/cron.daily/koha-common and /etc/cron.hourly/koha-common).  I added the
> other entry to the ROOT crontab file "manually".  If this is the entry in
> the /etc/cron.d/koha-common file is this all that I need for the zebra
> rebuild?  If a librarian adds a new holding, it should appear in search
> results within 5 minutes with this cron entry, right?
> */5 * * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/koha-rebuild-zebra && koha-rebuild-zebra
> $(koha-list --enabled)

That is very different to running rebuild_zebra.pl as root. You are
running koha-rebuild-zebra as root. Which does

   sudo -u "$name-koha" -H \
       env PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib \
       KOHA_CONF="/etc/koha/sites/$name/koha-conf.xml" \
       /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl $@

That is, it is running rebuild_zeba.pl as the user who was created
when you ran koha-create.

You said

"Right now I run it at 7:30 AM each morning with "-run-as-root -b -r -v"
(yes, I run it as ROOT). "

Which means the cron job wont be able to run as it wont have the
rights to write to the files it needs to, because root owns them.

This is why your things arent changing every 5 minutes

Chris

--
Chris Cormack
Catalyst IT Ltd.