[Koha] JQuery Help

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Aug 9 01:01:30 NZST 2013

> $("input[id=transl1]").attr("placeholder","Start your search here");

Is there an advantage to using "input[id=transl1]" over "#transl1" ?
I've never seen a selector written that way when looking for something
by id.

A couple of efficiency points:

If you have jQuery which makes multiple calls to the same element, you
shouldn't query for that element more than once. Set a variable:

var transl1 = $("#transl1");

...and then re-use it:

transl1.attr("value","Start your search here");

Second, there's no reason to add an onfocus attribute when you can add
an event handler. And really we don't need to set a variable after all
because we can simply chain everything:

$(document).ready(function(){
    $("#transl1").val("Start your search here")
        .on("focus",function(){
            if(this.value == 'Start your search here'){
                this.value = '';
            }
        })
        .on("blur",function(){