[Koha] How to know libraries that use Koha?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Aug 3 03:20:33 NZST 2013

On 05/07/13 14:08, Marshall Breeding wrote:
> Please keep in mind that I am also very interested in maintaining a comprehensive representation of the libraries that use Koha in the lib-web-cats directory of Library Technology Guides.  This directory is used quite frequently by those interested in making comparisons among the library automation software options available.  While having a list for the benefit of the Koha community internally has great benefits, being represented in lib-web-cats helps document the global impact of Koha to a broader audience.

lib-web-cats aren't comprehensive because they do not even try to
represent the richness of relationships between libraries, their
suppliers and each other.  Anyone looking to the cats to make
comparisons is making a choice which is obvious, simple and wrong - I
think librarians are smart enough to do better than that, because that
limitation is now fairly well discussed in the koha archives:
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Koha-Usage-Examples-td5740430.html#message5740455
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Fwd-Web4lib-Request-to-participate-in-2010-Library-Technology-Guides-automation-survey-td3299295.html#message3300570
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/ILS-Perceptions-survey-Marshall-Breeding-td4998093.html#message5005246

> It would be helpful if any opt-in registration function built into Koha might also send a notification to lib-web-cats so that it can also be added to that directory.

If lib-web-cats were available under a FOSS licence, I'd be OK with
that.  The middle link above has mbreeding refusing to publish under a
FOSS licence in 2010, but I hope maybe things are different in 2013 and
maybe the lib-web-cats go free now?

In general, I agree with other commenters that this should be very
opt-in, rather than any sneaky automatic phone home.  I'd also like it
to be offered to the first superlibrarian with something like an "Ask me
later" checkbox rather than in the installers, so we hosting and
installation providers don't have to make the choice for libraries.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op