[Koha] Help With Preferences & Manual

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:26:25 NZST 2013

Hi all,

I got this question today and I realized that the manual is not clear and
now I am second guessing myself - can someone help me out with updating the
manual and answering this question?

-----

What we want to have happen is that if an item is returned to the checkout
library (which is not the owning library for the item) then we want the
checkout library to be able to fill a hold on that item by a patron of the
checkout library without having to send the item back to the owning
library, have the owning library ship it back and then check it out to the
patron with the hold.  That seems to be what the description in Section
1.1.5.2.11 of the manual (
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.10/en/administration.html#HomeOrHoldingBranch)
is describing. However the manual states that this setting "Asks: Use the
checkout and fine rules of_____" and That does not seem to make sense in
relation to the description.

Since there is such a caution against changing this setting after the
initial setup, we want to get it right.

Also, I believe that we concluded during training that we would have the
IndependentBranches preferences set to prevent so this setting would apply.
However I am now confused about the IndependentBranches settings which I
thought only applied to what staff can do. When I get to the part of the
description in section .1.2.3.2 of the manual (
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.10/en/administration.html#IndependantBranches)
that says Prevent will, "preventing users from other branch locations from
placing holds or checking out materials from library branches other than
their own" I am left wondering if this will stop all holds by patrons of
one library from placing holds on items for other libraries. Or is it just
that staff of one library cannot place a hold on another libraries items....