[Koha] Can any one help me

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:26:25 NZST 2013

On 11/04/2013 13:08, Dagne Woldie, MS/HS Library Assistant wrote:
<snip>
> If koha enable us to catalog Ethiopian collection. That books written in Amharic language.
>
> Please if any one who has such experience. please, please/
</snip>

There are two options you can use. Koha can use the unicode character
set so therefore, you should be able to enter the characters in Amharic.
There are various options for entering Unicode characters.

The other option is to use what is called transliteration, as is done in
most libraries. The Library of Congress uses this transliteration table
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/romanization/amharic.pdf. If you want to
see if another library in Worldcat http://www.worldcat.org has already
cataloged an item in Amharic, you will use these transliteration tables
to search, e.g. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/745610236

I am sure that other countries use other transliteration tables, but
these are the ones that I know. I don't know anything about Amharic, though.

*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/
*Cooperative Cataloging Rules*
http://sites.google.com/site/opencatalogingrules/